Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Hermosa Beach

It was really nice to have a home tournament after so many weeks on the road. It makes a big difference to me to sleep in my own bed and cook in my own kitchen. Plus, it is nice to be back in the deep sand. There are very few tournaments now that are on actual beaches and Hermosa is one of those.

The first match of the tournament I felt really out of sorts. I ate something different for breakfast and I think it really affected me. I am a creature of habit so I think it really threw me off. Anyway, Holly played great and carried us through that match. I was able to work out whatever was going on without too much pressure.

Our next match, we played really well. Leading up to Atlanta, we were having troubles with our sideout game and our point scoring. We worked out a few kinks and made some big improvements. We were really starting to play well together. We cruised through the first game and were up 18-13 in the second when I came down on the attacker's foot and sprained my ankle. It was not really painful, but I felt it really stretch so I knew it needed taped. We called the medical timeout and I got it wrapped up. We finished the match fairly quickly and then had about 2 hours before our next match.

I sat for the entire time in between matches and did a minimal warm up for our next match versus Davis/Jordan. That was a mistake. I did not know what to expect so I thought it would be better to stay off of it. It seemed to stiffen up pretty good by not moving it around. I had a lot of trouble in that match. We were downright terrible. Holly tried to compensate for me and I could not move. My focus was completely lost.

Thankfully, the ibuprofen kicked in for our next match and I was still warm from our loss against Davis/Jordan. We faced the Lindquists and decided to split the blocking duties so that I would not have to run up to the net. It worked out very well. We had some of the longest rallies I have ever witnessed in beach volleyball. The ball must have crossed the net at least 30 times in one rally. My ankle felt great in that match. We won in two games and were finished for the day.

I went home and iced like crazy. When I woke up the next day, I had a little swelling and bruising. I got taped up and got in a good warm up. We played Roca/Fendrick to get to 5th place. I could move pretty well, but the pain was starting to become significant. We won in two games and then faced Dodd/Minello.

In the time between matches, my ankle must have started to swell because the tape job became excruciating. I took more ibuprofen and tried to ignore it, but was having big troubles moving. After getting whooped in game one, I finally got smart and called a medical time out to have it re-taped. The new tape job felt 100% better and I could move again. We were neck and neck the entire game. We had 3 game winning opportunities, but did not convert any of them. That was frustrating. So our run stopped there. We finished 5th place.

That was Holly's last Hermosa Beach Tournament. I wanted to make it really special for her by getting to the finals, but it was not in the cards for us.

I went to the doctor on Monday and got an X-Ray taken. I tore a ligament from the bone which caused an avulsion fracture. That is when the torn ligament takes a piece of the bone with it. Although it sounds sort of bad, my case is not serious. I have spent the last 5 days doing little but icing and elevating on the hour. It is extremely boring, but I know that a week off will help tremendously in the long run. It was a hard decision for me to go along with because I am one of those stubborn people who do not respect ankle injuries. I have always thought, "tape it up and go!" I am in physical therapy and diligently doing all of my rehabilitation exercises so that when I get back in the sand next week it will feel great.

I am catching up on movies, television, and reading some books. It is painful for me to not exercise right now, but I know I have to do it.

I am really looking forward to Belmar in 10 days! New Jersey is the home of my newest sponsor, PNY. Check them out at http://www.pny.com/. It is also a great opportunity to get the East Coast excited about Real Water. I am confident that once people learn about all the amazing benefits of drinking Real Water, it will spread like wildfire. Read about the benefits at http://www.drinkrealwater.com/. It was a pleasure to have the Real Water team out at the Hermosa Beach event. The crew is new to beach volleyball and I think the Hermosa event is a great one for an introduction. I know we all are pleased to have Real Water be the official water of the AVP Tour. I also want to thank Jose Cuervo for being such supportive sponsors. I am so excited and feel very fortunate to have such a great team this year. PNY, Real Water, and Cuervo have helped me tremendously in the pursuit of my dreams. Thank you all!

Have a great week and if you are of age and enjoy Cuervo, please do so responsibly! VIVE Cuervo, VIVE Real Water, and VIVE PNY!

Angie

No comments: