Monday, July 7, 2008

Magnificent Boulder

First I would like to start with the announement of some exciting news: FUBAR, an all-organic energy bar that is a big supporter of the US military, has joined my team of sponsors! I am so excited to work with FUBAR not only because they make a great tasting, all-natural organic energy bar, but also because of their stong military support. "Fueled Up Beyond All Recognition" is the name. Check out their site at www.getfubar.com.

Now for an update on my trip...last Tuesday evening, I flew to Denver because early Wednesday morning I would be making appearances for my sponsor, Cuervo. It gave me and Jeremy the opportunity to visit with some great friends in the area. We stayed with Tom, Joelle, and Selby Davenport for the night before things got crazy.

The next day, Cuervo sponsored a sand court to be built in downtown Denver as a promotion for our Boulder tournament. It was a huge hit. A street was closed off and there was tons of pedestrian traffic stopping by to play or watch. We were on a morning news program and then hung out to sign autographs and take pictures. The people stopping by just loved it.

That evening, I made my way to Broomfield with fellow AVP pros Jeff Nygaard, John Mayer, and Alicia Polzin for a clinic at the indoor beach volleyball center, The Oasis. We had a great turnout and had some fun teaching an adult clinic to about 40 players from the Denver/Boulder area.

After the clinic, Jeremy and I made our way to Boulder to the Miller's residence where we would be staying for the weekend. Our good friends, Doug and Patti Miller were gracious enough to host several of us players. It was a big slumber party. They hosted a BBQ on Thursday where we got to see several of our good friends from the Ixtapa vacation. Earlier in the day, Holly and I practiced at the beautiful sand court at Ron Snyder's house. We played against Ron and Leonard and had fun getting used to the altitude and dry weather.

Friday was the start of the tournament. We played later in the afternoon so we slept in and arrived at the site mid-morning. The site was Fulsom Field. It is the football stadium where the University of Colorado's team plays. The setup was incredible. There were 5 courts spread across the field. As a player, I thought the site was fantastic. We were provided with awesome facilities including a top of the line training room with an incredible staff. I worked with Valerie who gave me acupuncture on my ankle and helped me get the swelling out. Then Leila taped me up and got me ready to play. The entire staff was so friendly and ready to help in any way.

Holly and I cruised through our first match winning 21-5, 21-8. Because of the single elimination format spread across a three day tournament for the ladies, that was our only match on Friday.
Saturday late morning, we played Keao Burdine and Jen Snyder to jump from 9th place into 5th. We played pretty well and won in 2 sets, 21-15, 21-17.

The women were then put on hold until after the men's final. We rested up and got ready to play DeNecochea/Fontana. We were in the stadium immediately following the final. We started slow in the first set, struggling in all areas. We lost 19-21, but could have won. We pulled it together in the second to win 22-20. The third set, we gave up some early points and dug a hole for ourselves. We fought back from a 6-9 deficit and were tied 12-12. We lost 13-15 and were absolutely heart-broken. We gave a good fight, but missed too many opportunities. I am super bummed about the loss, but we have to rebound and get ready for Chicago. All of the teams will be back so it will be a full field again.

I must say, the Boulder crowd was incredible! I especially appreciate all the awesome people there cheering for me. I love Boulder/Denver and can't wait to come back next year! What a great place full of great people!

Thanks for following!

Angie

No comments: