Thursday, July 26, 2007

Kosovo - Day 3 - SATURDAY - JUNE 23, 2007

I had every intention of writing in my blog every day while on the trip, but obviously I failed miserably. I did take notes so that I could write about all the details without missing anything.

First I need to finish my last blog entry. I will do that right now. (The computer was set all in German, so I had no idea what I was doing.) I think the last thing I talked about was the NATO base and Hans and Ty doing most of the playing. Well after we played we wanted to track down more Americans, so we went to the American bar. There were only a few people in the bar until the Irish soldiers got kicked out of their own bar and made way to the American bar! They were CRAZY!!! Not to mention that they told us they just returned from a 4 month long assignment and were going to tear it up. They were showering Jen and me with attention. They were picking us up and swinging us around, flexing their muscles for us... we laughed the whole time. One picked me up and started twirling in circles as fast as he could while my feet were knocking over every glass, beer bottle, and table in sight! That was when we decided it might be a good time for us to leave. We made our way back to Bondsteel for a late night dinner and then bed.

Now for Day 3. Jen and I had been 'hinting' (really I mean down right begging!) for a ride in the Blackhawks. Our request was working its way up to the top to see if it would be allowed so we had set up a tour with all the pilots of the helicopters. We did not get a ride, but we did get the most extensive, hands-on tour of the birds that we ever could have asked for. The pilots were extremely disappointed that they could not take us up, but they gave us an amazing tour of their aircraft. We started at the Blackhawks. I jumped into the pilots seat and was given the full rundown on how to fly it, what all the gadgets do, etc. It was very impressive. The pilots were so nice to us and spent a fair bit of time telling us all about their birds.

We left there and visited the Apaches. Once again, I jumped into the pilot seat and was given an extensive tour of all the components on the Apache. I had the helmet with the night vision on, I was shown how to lock in on targets, fire the guns, and so so much more. It was amazing. After our visits there, we met up with the Med-Evac pilots and crew. They showed us their Blackhawk and all the medical equipment on board. We talked with them for a bit but then had to leave to get ready for our exhibition.

We had a great turn out at Bondsteel. We started with a co-ed exhibition of Hans/Jen versus Ty/me. Unfortunately, Hans and Jen won, but I do believe there will be a rematch in the works. Ty and I just need a little practice together. After that game, Jen and I sided-out versus all the troops that wanted to play. Hans and Ty made rounds visiting with people and also taking over the role of announcer. They gave an amusing play-by-play and kept things moving along. We had a competition to 11 points. If they scored a point on us, they got to stay on the court. If we sided-out, they had to rotate. We played for awhile before we got our winners, but everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

Once that was finished, everyone that still wanted to play jumped on the court with Hans and Ty and got to play along-side them. We had to wrap things up after a few hours in order to get over to the radio station where we recorded some public service announcements. We had a really good time in the recording studio doing these. Jen started quoting a Saturday Night Live skit that had me dying laughing. Of course I went along with it. After that we went back and ordered Thai food with a few of the troops. We had a great time telling and listening to stories.

This trip has had such a profound effect on me. It is really hard to convey my thoughts and feelings so that in reading this you truly understand what this trip has meant to me. It is a huge eye-opener to be on base and see the daily life of what our troops go through. They are not there for 2 and a half days. They are there for 11 months. 11 months without their families, friends, and all the luxuries that we have living here in the States. They are lonely and bored. The thanks that we received was so over-whelming. I had no idea that we would or could make such a positive difference for them. Some of the emails that I got put me in tears. I found it very difficult to leave. Saying goodbye was tough because I wanted to give so much more. I am already trying to organize my next visit overseas.

I ask that you all keep our troops all over the world in your thoughts and prayers. Many people do not know that we still have a presence in Kosovo, but we do. Please do not forget them. I send all my love to Bondsteel in Kosovo and thank every one of them for their service to our great country.
Peace and love,
Angie

No comments: