Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Beginning of a Long Journey

Tomorrow morning I am leaving for Ocean City, Maryland. This AVP tournament stop will mark the first week in a 15 week-long stretch of consecutive tournament play for me and Tyra.

We are traveling to many interesting places. Our journey begins in Maryland and will take us to Norway, Switzerland, Russia, France, Austria, Spain, and several stops in the USA.

We will have the opportunity to compete for Team USA at the World Championships in Stavanger, Norway from June 25th through July 4th. Unfortunately, World Championships coincide with Coney Island AVP, so we will be missing Coney Island. However, we intend to post video blogs from the road to let you all know where we are and how we are doing.

Be on the lookout for some articles and other publicity about AVP stars Jeff Nygaard, Ryan Mariano, Brooke Hanson, and Matt Olson. These athletes just returned from visiting our Troops stationed in Afghanistan. This is the third trip overseas to visit our troops that I have had the opportunity to do behind the scenes work on the logistical side, but the first that I could not actually attend myself. I was extremely bummed not to go with the other athletes, but my injuries and preparations for the World Championships kept me from going. I will be sure to make it on the next trip. From what I hear, they had a wonderful time interacting with lots and lots of our military men and women. Certainly, it was an experience never to be forgotten. I am anxious to hear their stories.

It is back to packing for me. I need to finish up some last minute details before I relax for the evening and then I hit the road!

Hope to see you at the beach!

Angie Akers

No comments: